Saturday, January 17, 2009

Hierve de Agua





Hierve el Agua is a natural warm springs about 40 miles outside Oaxaca. And by warm springs I mean really freaking cold springs!

This is one of the most interesting sites I have ever seen it really looks like a waterfall but its hundreds of years calcium carbonate and magnesium deposits that have created a petrified waterfall and beautiful designs in the ground. Amazing!




Hierve el Agua means boiling water but the day we went the air was 80 and the water was 60 eek freezing but I swam and shivered for and hour! If you know me at all you know I can´t resist the water.



(If you are reading this out loud children please stop for the following part.)
My roommates went to Hierve el Agua the day after I. On the drive up, between two very small, very poor pueblos they saw a man hanging from a tree. They described the site in vivid detail, in their description I could feel the scar in their mind. Apparently the police were very apathetic about it. The next day on of our teachers who is from a near by Pueblo said that there has been a feud between the 2 towns for a while, and that assassinations were not unheard of....

No comments:

Post a Comment